Propane Tank Gauges 101
Written on: July 25, 2022
How do I read my propane tank gauge?
Reading your propane tank gauge is easy, once you’re familiar with the process and what the numbers on the device represent. As a Texas propane user, it’s an important skill to have and can actually save you money, avoid hassles, and help you steer clear of danger. Read on to learn more about what your propane gauge can tell you.
Why do I need to read my propane gauge?
If you’re not a propane expert, it makes sense that you might not know how to read your propane gauge, but it’s important to learn, for a few reasons:
- Avoid danger: An empty propane tank can be dangerous, since excess air can get into the unit, causing your pilot light to go out, and creating a carbon monoxide buildup.
- Ask an expert: Because of the danger if this situation occurs, it’s prudent to have a professional safely inspect your propane equipment before relighting your pilot light.
- Never run out: Don’t get stuck without the fuel you need, when you need it most.
Fortunately, you can avoid these headaches simply by keeping an eye on your gauge and never letting your propane levels get dangerously low.
Propane readings: The 80/20 rule
Your propane gauge is measured in percentage units, typically from 10 percent or less, to 80 percent full.
- Full at 80: Because propane is stored as a liquid in its tank, it needs room to expand and contract, due to temperatures and other conditions. This is why your tank is considered full when it is reading 80 percent.
- Refuel at 20: A good rule of thumb is that you never want your tank to be less than 20 percent full. If you schedule your next propane delivery while your tank is at about 20 percent, you won’t be at risk of running out before your delivery arrives. This rule provides a little bit of buffer time so that even if there were a rare delay – severe weather or a roadway obstruction, for instance – your propane supply should last.
Our Keep Full delivery is the easiest way to avoid runouts
Our regular, or Keep Full delivery service is by far the most convenient and efficient approach for residential propane deliveries. When you’re enrolled for regular delivery, you won’t have to worry about a run-out or about when to call for a refill. Based on your usage patterns and weather forecasts, we take care of your propane service, from start to finish! All you have to do is let us know if something changes your overall usage, like an additional person moving into your household.
Life gets hectic, and it can be easy to forget to schedule your delivery, and the last thing you want is to have to schedule emergency service. With Keep Full propane delivery, all of these worries become a thing of the past.
From our offices in Richards and Madisonville, we take care of our customers, no matter what, so reach out today.
“Gauge” for yourself: You can trust J&B Propane
Since 1978, J&B Propane has been providing businesses and homeowners with first-rate fuel and reliable, friendly service. Some of our original customers remain part of the J&B Propane family, and we’re proud to add more people from our local communities every day.
Trust J&B Propane to make your propane deliveries, install your tank, handle the maintenance and repairs for your system, and more, when you become a customer today!