What Is Propane?
Written on: November 14, 2022
Is propane the right choice for you?
If you’re considering fueling your home or business with propane to save money on your energy bills in College Station, Madisonville, Bryan, Montgomery or the surrounding areas, you are on the right track. But what IS propane, exactly, and what can it do for you? Nontoxic propane is a central component of America’s energy solution because it is versatile, green, accessible, safe, and efficient. If you are new to propane, read on to learn about all the benefits of this amazing fuel!
The Basics of Propane
You’re probably somewhat familiar with propane – or at least, its popularity as a grill fuel – but many people don’t know where it actually comes from or how it works.
- Propane is a low-carbon footprint fuel that’s a byproduct of the domestic natural gas collection process. When condensation is removed from natural gas pipelines, propane is collected.
- Propane is nontoxic, colorless, and odorless, so suppliers add a rotten-egg scent to the fuel to make potential leaks easier to detect. Leaks aren’t common though, when propane is stored safely.
- Propane occurs as a gas but is stored as liquid because it makes transport simpler, since liquid propane is nearly 270 times more compact as a liquid than a gas.
Benefits of propane
The benefits of propane are extensive, but some of our favorite “special powers” of this fuel include propane’s inherent:
- Versatility: Propane can safely and efficiently power a wide range of indoor and outdoor appliances for both residential and commercial purposes, from water heaters and furnaces to indoor forklifts, torches, and welders. It’s portable, too – which is a big plus for construction and agricultural industries, or anybody who needs temporary heat.
- Eco-friendliness: Propane earned its green status as a clean-burning fuel due to its nearly net-zero carbon emissions. Propane is natural and nontoxic. It doesn’t let off harmful greenhouse gases into the atmosphere, and it doesn’t hurt wildlife or contaminate water or soil if released into the environment.
- Efficiency: Propane gives a big bang for your buck. Since propane naturally burns hotter, it feels warmer, and the energy produced creates a larger energy output – meaning you pay less to power your appliances and heat your space.
- Reliability: No need to rely on the electrical infrastructure and utility companies for your fuel needs; with propane, you’re in control – if you want to be. Monitor your fuel yourself, or hand over the reins for watching your propane gauge and predicting your usage patterns to J&B Propane. We’ll make sure you’ll never run out of propane with our automatic delivery program.
The Experts at J&B Propane Look Out for You
If you’d like to explore all propane can do for you, we’re here for you! From our offices in Richards and Madisonville, we take care of our customers, no matter what. If you’re looking for a clean, efficient way to heat your home or business, J&B Propane will make it easy for you to switch to propane.
Local and family-owned for more than 40 years, J&B Propane stands out from the crowd for so many reasons. We are committed to providing quality propane at a fair price, safe and courteous propane delivery, and the best possible personalized service. When you reach out to J&B Propane, you’ll get our office—never a call center! Contact us to find out more about J&B Propane’s products and services, and how we can best serve you!