Your safety is our priority at J&B Propane
With decades of experience and generations of serving the propane needs of homes and businesses in Montgomery, TX, and surrounding areas, we want to make sure you have the tools you need to stay safe.
When we visit your home or business, we maintain only the highest standards of safety. Our customers are our friends and neighbors—your well-being is our priority. Please keep these tips handy and contact us with any questions.
Protect your Texas home or business with these propane safety suggestions
In its natural state, propane is odorless. In order to make it easy to detect a leak, an odorant is added to it. As you have probably experienced at some point, the smell is comparable to rotten eggs. The instructions listed below can protect your home or your business, but more importantly they can save lives, so please take them to heart.
Here’s what to do if you smell gas in your home or at your place of business.
- IMMEDIATELY: Get yourself and everyone else out of the house, building or area where you smell gas.
- Extinguish any source of ignition, such as lit cigarettes or cigars, or an open flame.
- DO NOT use thermostats, electric switches or telephones or thermostats until you are away from the affected area.
- Determine whether you can safely reach the gas shutoff valve on the propane tank or cylinder. If you can, turn it off.
- Once you’re away from the area where you smelled gas, contact J&B Propane or emergency personnel using a cell phone.
- Stay away from the area where you originally smelled the gas—even if you don’t smell gas anymore. DO NOT go back to try to turn on the propane safety valve.
- BE PATIENT. It’s important that you give technicians and/or emergency personnel enough time to check for any escaped propane. They will also need time to fix the source of the leak.
- Once technicians or emergency personnel can ensure your safety, they will let you know. They will need time to complete an inspection of all gas appliances. They’ll also relight the pilots.
- Once you receive the official OK to return, you may do so.
The Propane Education & Research Council (PERC) has created the propane safety videos listed below to help homeowners and businesses learn about safely dealing with propane appliances. Whether you have one propane appliance or your home or business is fully propane powered, these tips will be invaluable.
At J&B Propane, we take your safety seriously. Contact us for more information about propane safety, propane delivery, propane appliances and propane tanks.